Designing and manufacturing insulated metal panels (IMPs) requires a chef’s approach that combines all the right ingredients to create the perfect all-in-one wall solution.
At Green Span Profiles, experience has taught us that it takes a complex equation to manufacture the highest-quality insulated wall panels in America: build it right, build it to last, build it to perform while ensuring installation is easy and the appearance will be appealing.
“Utilizing state-of-the-art equipment, our panels are built by a continuously poured-in-place process binding interior and exterior corrosion-resistant steel facings to a polyisocyanurate insulation foam core,” says Brian N. Jaks, P.E., Green Span Profiles VP of Sales & Marketing.
Build it Right, Build it to Last, Build it to Perform
Green Span Profiles prides itself on building its IMP wall panels right to the highest standards that result in a product that performs and lasts.
Quality control is important as IMP-built structures will be put to the test with extreme weather events around the country on the rise.
“Our products are rigorously tested by Factory Mutual, Underwriters Laboratories and Miami-Dade County. More importantly, they are tested, in-place, every day by our most valued customers and end-users who depend on our panels to protect their most valuable assets,” said Jaks.
Green Span Profiles IMPs can span 42 inches across and reach up to 40-feet tall for architectural wall panels and 53-feet tall for commercial/industrial wall panels. IMP wall panel thickness can range anywhere from 2 to 6 inches and the panels interlock to create impermeable barriers.
Performance for the IMP wall panels includes an insulation performance of an R-8 per inch of thickness, which equates up to R-48 for six inches.
To back up its IMP wall panels, Green Span Profiles provides industry-leading warranties such as the following for IMPs using GALVALUME®, galvanized G90, or aluminum substrates with standard Kynar 500® or Hylar 5000® coating systems:
- For a period of 40 years from the date of shipment, the coating system will not crack, check or peel (lose adhesion).
- For a period of 30 years from the date of shipment, the coating system will not chalk in excess of numerical rating 9 for sidewall applications when measured in accordance with ASTM D-4214-98 procedures.
Building it right also means testing and approvals including:
- Class 1 Fire Rating under FM4880: Factory Mutual Approval Standard for Class 1 Fire Rating of Insulated Wall or Wall and Roof/Ceiling Panels, Interior Finish Materials or Coatings and Exterior Wall Systems
- Passed NFPA 285: Standard Fire Test Method for Evaluation of Fire Propagation Characteristics of Exterior Non-Load-Bearing Wall Assemblies Containing Combustible Components
Green Span Profiles IMP wall panels have also been accepted under some of the nation’s toughest building codes when it comes to weather including Miami Dade County and the state of Florida.
New Generation of IMP Wall Panels Have Winning Appearance
Today’s generation of IMP wall panels have enough colors, textures, and finishes to complete any project with an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Builders and installers have plenty of choices with Green Span Profiles manufacturing two architectural IMP wall panels (Impression and WaveLine) and three other lines for commercial/industrial, including low temperature/cold storage (MesaLine, MesaLine HSE, and ShadowLine).
“Impression is our flat panel offering with a profile that utilizes our Heavy Stucco Embossment (HSE),” said Jaks. “Impression gives the look of tilt-up concrete while offering unsurpassed thermal efficiency. In comparison to tilt-up, the Impression insulated metal panel is super lightweight and extremely cost-effective.”
Green Span Profiles’ other architectural IMP wall panel is the micro-corrugated WaveLine profile.
“This insulated metal panel offers a more architectural profile for designers desiring a sleek and distinctive look. The unique Green-Lock side-joint helps ensure a high-performance vapor seal in vertical as well as horizontal applications,” said Jaks.
The choices continue when designing commercial and industrial projects:
- MesaLine has a lined profile that provides strength, facilitates foam adhesion and helps minimize natural imperfections in the steel faces.
- MesaLine HSE has all the attributes of MesaLine while adding a heavy stucco embossment for a more dramatic impact.
- ShadowLine IMP wall panel has five, ¼” deep flutes along the exterior face. The 1¼” reveal disguises the side-joint and yields an aesthetic, monolithic look.
Making IMP Wall Panel Installation a Breeze
Installers and Builders that have worked with IMP wall panels appreciate the ease of installation.
“While other construction products like brick and ACM panels offer excellent durability and minimal maintenance, their install speed is much slower than single skin metal panels. Installation speed affects the overall project budget and, perhaps more importantly, the speed to build or the number of days to owner occupancy,” said McElroy Metal, which uses Green Span Profile IMPs on projects such as this CubeSmart storage facility.